A beautiful high quality antique glass goblet
made by the renowned Silesian glass maker (Preußler) Josephinenhütte of
Szklarska Poręba [ ʃklarska pɔrɛmba ] (German Schreiberhau ) is a town in the
district of Jeleniogórski in the Lower Silesian province in Poland.
This glassworks, which opened in 1842 and was originally
managed until 1882 by Franz Pohl. The Josephine glassworks continued in
business until 1923 under the ownership of the Schaffgotsch family when it
merged with the Heckert glassworks in Petersdorf and the Hermsdorf company
Neumann & Staebe.
This large glass in the style of an 18th Century Georgian goblet is made of high-quality clear crystal glass with a plain disc foot, tapered faceted stem with a rosette of nine bubbles and a flared or drawn trumpet shaped bowl, with a gilt band to the rim and foot. The plain foot has a ground pontil mark. It dates from the early 20th C around 1900.
The glass stands 11 inches (28cm) high and has a bowl
diameter of 4 3/8 inches (11.5cm). It weighs 919g unpacked. It is in very good
antique condition with just some minor inclusions. It is a hand made object
with minor tooling marks and inclusions and some minor rubbing to the
gilding. The glass makes a beautiful
ring when tapped with the finger.
This is a great glass for any collector of Josephinenhutte,
crested glassware, heraldic items or Georgian style goblets.
© 2018. All Rights Reserved.