Cambrian or Swansea Pottery Blue and White Pearlware Transferware Cabbage Leaf Mug circa 1795
A fairly rare late 18th century antique Swansea pottery, or more accurately Cambrian Pottery blue and white pearl-ware acanthus leaf handled quart (two pint) tankard or mug. It features cabbage leaf moulding on the body with a decoration of transfer printed blue floral sprays (known as Floral Bouquets) on each leaf, and raised dots. Dot and leaf moulded border. Blue geometric pattern border around the rim both inside and out. Blue edged acanthus leaf strap handle. The mug dates to around 1795 and were made to compete with the more expensive Worcester Porcelain cabbage leaf mug and jugs.
The Cambrian Pottery was founded in 1764 by William Coles in Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales. In 1790, John Coles, son of the founder, went into partnership with George Haynes, who introduced new business strategies based on the ideas of Josiah Wedgwood.
This mug is in good antique used displayable condition - there are number of small old filled and disguised chips to the rim as shown in the images. There is a small area of iron staining near the base below the handle No cracks or hairlines.
Please see the excellent article by Arleen and Graham Tanner ; Swansea's Cambrian Pottery, Public and Private Commemorative Printed Wares on the transfer ware collectors club website.