Bretby Art Pottery was an art pottery studio founded by Henry Tooth and William Ault in 1882. They designed and built their own pottery in Woodville, Derbyshire, where production began on 25 October 1883. Tooth had been invited by Christopher Dresser to establish the Linthorpe Pottery at Middlesbrough in 1879 but, it did not take long before he moved onto this new venture.
Within a year of opening they had won a gold award at the Crystal Palace Exhibition in 1884, the same year that the 'Sunburst' trade mark was registered.
The partnership was dissolved on 1 January 1887 when William Ault set up his own pottery Ault & Co. nearby in Midland Road, Swadlincote also in Derbyshire. Bretby was still produced by Tooth and Co.
© 2020 Jockjen Antiques. All Rights Reserved.