A buff or beige coloured drabware stoneware lidded wine ewer dating from around 1850. It has a twisted naturalistic grape vine bifurcate handle with extended vine leaf terminals. The the triangular shaped removeable lid has a bunch of grapes as a knop, again with vine stem and leaf terminal.
The elegant classically shaped body of the jug has two lugs to hold the lid in place and the handle is slightly extended to form a third lug at the back to also help hold the lid in place. The inside of the spout has a built in nine hole strainer. Some collectors may call this a jug or pitcher. We have seen them also described as a tisaniere jug and cover.
The ewer is of an elegant plain form with smooth sides, devoid of decoration other than relief moulded design of the vine leaf terminals and the bunch of grape knop.
The ewer is unmarked apart from an impressed number 24 to the base. It is a very handsome item and in very good condition with just a small chip to the left front of the footrim. The maker is unknown but, Wedgwood, Ridgway, Davenport and a number of other manufacturers produced this type of ware.
Height 8 inches ( 20 cm)length Handle 6 inches (15.2 cm)Body diameter 3.875 inches (10 cm)Weight 543 grammes unpacked
© 2020 Jockjen Antiques. All Rights Reserved.