A Don Pottery Georgian period pearlware shell shaped dessert dish circa 1820, with a hand coloured transfer printed floral pattern and a black painted border rim. There is a narrow green acanthus leaf and pink crossed ribbon inner border. The base with impressed factory workmen's marks.
The Don pottery had been set up by John Green (Originally a shareholder in the Leeds Pottery) in 1801, at the Mexborough end of Swinton on the west bank of the Don Navigation in Yorkshire, England. The Greens operated the pottery there until 1834.
This factory and pattern is documented in the excellent book "The Yorkshire Potteries" by John D Griffin, see plate 240 page 119. John Griffin’s Don Pottery 1801 – 1893 Plates 208 and 209. Also see the Northern Ceramics Society online exhibition of Yorkshire Pots item Y8 for a similar dish and the Kilnhurst heritage website on Don pottery.
This plate is in very good antique condition with some minor wear and loss to the black enamel and a tiny fleabite to the rim near the base of the main flower stems. A couple of hairlines in the glaze to the base.
It is a very attractive and highly decorative antique item for display and will be of particular interest to collectors of Yorkshire pottery and pearlware and Georgian ceramics. A great example of antique hand coloured transfer ware by a highly regarded and collected factory - ideal to add to any collection.
Height 1 5/8 inches ( 4.2 cm)
Length 8 7/16 inches (21.3 cm)
Width 7 5/8 inches (19.3 cm)
Weight 233 grammes unpacked
Free UK and international postage with this item.