Half Leather Bound Book Technical Papers Naval Architecture Marine Engineering
A beautiful half leather bound hard backed book with gilt title "Technical Papers" with red faux shagreen covered boards. It is a unique and personal compilation of a number of addresses and papers to a variety of Naval and Engineering bodies from the late Victorian period of around 1890. Some articles have illustrated engravings. It is inscribed by the original owner JR Pennett? along with a hand written index on the contents to the front end paper. Each article has his signature on the top right.
A very interesting and highly collectable probably unique collection of illustrated reference work for military and naval historians, engineers. naval architects and historians of machinery, with technical details and illustrations of works at the cutting edge of science in warships at the latter half of the 19th century. The articles are:
- Ship Resistance by R.E Froude - Paper from the Greenock Philosophical Society 1894.
- A Dynamic Parable - theory of screws By Sir Robert S Ball - Mathematical and Physical Section of the British Association. Manchester 1887.
- Steamers for Winter Navigation and Ice Breaking by Robert Runeberg - Institute of Civil Engineers 1900.
- Torpedo Boat Destroyers By John Thorneycroft - Institute of Civil Engineers 1895
- Corrections for Torpedo Manual Volume 1 1881 Admiralty Gunnery Branch 1886, Electric Lighting.
- Description of the Compound Steam Turbine and Turbo-Electric Generator - Charles Parsons of Gateshead.
- Address on Gunnery By Captain Noble Mathematical and Physical Section of the British Association. Leeds 1890.
- Water Tube Boilers for Marine Engines by James Tayler Milton - Institute of Civil Engineers 1899
- Water Tube Steam Boilers for Marine Engines by John Thorneycroft - Institute of Civil Engineers 1889.
- Recent Trials of Machinery of Warships Sir Albert Durston Institute of Civil Engineers 1899.
- HMS AJAX alterations from Tank Trials Admiral Henry Boys Royal United Service Institution 1887.
Some of the articles mention or illustrate a number of warships, their names include HMS Canopus, Argonaut, Pioneer, Daring, Rattlesnake, Speedy, Halcyon and Ajax.
Half leather binding in red with red faux shagreen paper covered boards and gilt titles to spine. Approximately 400 printed pages total illustrated with fold out sections.
Condition Report : Externally Spine good condition title in gilt, leather is in good condition with some loss to edges and some rubbing and marking. Joints good condition . Binding firm. Corners good condition very minor wear. Boards good condition minor marks. Page edges good condition discoloured to the top. Variety of conditions to each section, all complete, legible and presentable. End papers some foxing and discolouration. Pages good condition some foxing and discolouration. See the images. A rare unique interesting collectable and decorative book.
Size: 8.5" (21.5 cm) high, 5.75" (14.6 cm) wide 1 7/16" (3.7 cm) deep weighs 771 grammes unpacked.