This pottery operated from circa 1770 until 1881. It was located at Hunslet, Leeds, Yorkshire, England.
There were a number of owners over the years:
It was created in Hunslet by John Green and Joshua Green, unrelated, around 1756, joined by Richard Humble in 1775 to become Humble, Green, and Co. Circa 1783 a businessman named William Hartley joined the firm, and the firm was renamed Hartley Greens & Co.The company's flint mill at Thorpe Arch was in 1814 replaced by a converted windmill on their Leeds premises.
In the early 19th century, however, the company went into a prolonged decline and from 1821 was sold repeatedly, becoming in turn Wainwright & Co., Stephen & James Chappell, Warburton & Britton, and finally Richard Britton & Sons, until it finally closed in 1881. Its buildings were then demolished.
In 1888 production was restarted by James Wraith Senior, who used the old designs and marked his products Leeds Pottery. This business wound down in 1957.
Leeds City Council restarted the brand in 1983, making reproduction pieces, but soon had to sell the business. Production was moved to Stoke-on-Trent, and in 1992 after acquisition by John Croft it was renamed Hartley Greens & Co. In 2011 it was acquired by Denby Pottery, and production moved to Middleport pottery, north of Stoke-on-Trent.