A Leeds Pottery small pearlware plate, with a feather edge and unusual acanthus leaf scroll moulded rim, decorated in blue and white in the 'Pagoda and Fence' pattern.
Although this plate is unmarked, it can readily be identified by a number of key pointers in the hand painted design. The scrolling and pointed tip finial to the roof, the double eaves to the ground floor, the tree made up of circles or balls (third from right) and the curving of the lines of "reflection" at the base level.
It dates to the late eighteenth century during the reign of the King George III circa 1790. It was made at the Leeds Pottery of Humble, Hartley Greens and Co. at Rushby Pasture, Hunslet, Leeds in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England.
The plate is 8 inches (20.4 cm) diameter, 3/4 inch (1.9 cm) high and weighs 255 grammes unpacked.
It has a little damage: There are two "glaze" chips or flakes to the rim (2 and 6 o'clock) and a crack at 8 o'clock a few frits and glaze rubbing around the inner rim with some discolouration. There are a couple of small chips to the foot ring. Despite this minor damage or imperfections it displays well and this is a most attractive item to add to a collection of blue and white hand painted pearlware or Leeds or Yorkshire pottery.
Free UK postage with this item, International postage at cost.
References: See plate 94d page 64 of Painted in Blue Underglaze Blue Painted Earthenwares 1775 to 1810 by Lois Roberts for more information.