Pearlware Spiral Fluted Jug J and W Turner pattern 122 c 1795
A late 18th century antique spiral shanked, or fluted pearl-ware pottery jug, with a 7 shaped handle and poly-chrome hand painted enamel decoration in the "roses and long leaf" pattern. The base has the pattern number 122 painted in pink enamel. It was probably made by John and William Turner of Lane End, Longton Staffordshire England. The body has 24 spiral flutes and dates to around 1795, King George III was on the throne when this was made in the Georgian period
For a similarly shaped and decorated item see plate 573 page 96 of a Directory of British Teapots, by Michael Berthoud and Richard Maskell.
The Turner Pottery was founded in 1759 in Lane End by John Turner senior. In 1780 his two sons John and William were taken into partnership. In 1787 after their fathers death the two brothers were in partnership until 1806 when they were declared bankrupt. William then traded on his own until 1829.
This jug is in good antique used displayable condition - there is a chip to the left hand side of the handle and one underneath the handle on the top of one of the shanks, The glaze has some crazing and some flaking to the enamel particularly on the rim.
Height 6 5/16 inches ( 16 cm)
Length 7 inches ( 17.8 cm)
Diameter 5 inches (12.6 cm)
Weight 466 grammes unpacked
Free UK postage with this item , international shipping at cost.